Sunday, February 19, 2012

Another Recipe for your Chicken Stash

I thought I would share another recipe that I used for our chicken stash. If you've read the blog before, you know that I buy the bone-in, skin on chicken breast when they're on sale and process them myself saving a ton of money. I've done a few articles on this if you want to look back and read the articles.

I have an easy pizza recipe to use with the cooked, already shredded bags of chicken that we have in the freezer. It also works well as a pantry recipe because the ingredients are on sale a lot and can be bought very cheaply with coupons.

We call this Italian Pizza, but I guess all pizza is somewhat Italian, so call it anything you want to. It is surprising how just a few simple ingredients turn out such a flavorful pizza.

First, I use a can of pizza dough:


Open the can and spread the dough out on your pan or pizza stone. You could also divide the dough up to make individual pizza for your family members. Next you will need a jar of alfredo sauce.



I checked the label on this particular sauce and it's only 90 calories for 1/4 cup, so I believe you could also make this a healthy alternative if you wanted to. Okay, now spread a layer of the sauce onto your pizza dough.



After your sauce is spread, you will add your toppings. I first added some of the pre-cooked, shredded chicken that I had in the freezer.






And I also added, on my half, some sliced green olives. Jason hates green olives (he's crazy like that) so I make sure not to cross the half-pizza line. I even put a couple of slices of olive on the very top before putting it in the oven to make sure we know where to cut the pizza and that Jason doesn't get any surprise olives.



Now, of course you can add any toppings that you like at this point. Go crazy, be creative and have fun. Next we need cheese of course. I try to get the Italian blend cheese for this pizza. It adds a lot of flavor to have more than one type of cheese on here.



We also need a little seasoning, for the most recent pizza, I used this:

 


Now, cover the pizza with your desired level of cheese, but not too much. Then sprinkle some of the italian seasoning over the top as the last ingredient. Just a light sprinkling of seasoning over the pizza is enough. This is what mine looked like before going into a 400 degree oven.


You can also see that it doesn't have to be perfectly rectangle either, or round. Just do the best you can to make the slices somewhat even. You can use the instructions on the dough can for timing the pizza or just cook at 400 degrees until it is as done as you like it.



Here is what ours looked like. Jason and I not only disagree on how great green olives are, but also on how done we like our pizza. He was pleased with this level of "doneness" but I normally take it out of the oven a little sooner for a pizza a bit less "done". As long as it isn't burnt, I guess anything works.

Hope you enjoy the recipe.

1 comment: