Saturday, July 7, 2012

WE DID IT!!!!!

On June 28, 2012, if you heard some weird shouting and giggling around mid-morning, that would have been me. I was making the final payment on our mortgage and becoming debt free. Every time I think about it, I just break out into a big smile. It took us a long time to get to this point but we made it and I have to tell you, it feels wonderful. I can't tell you how freeing it is to know that you own your home and other belonging free and clear and no longer have to make payments on them or worry about loosing them. I can also tell you that it was worth every moment and every money saving practice to get to this point. My most important message is that it can be done, by regular people and that it's worth striving for.

From my posts, I've shared a lot of the ways that Jason and I have saved money in order to be able to pay extra towards our mortgage. Some were a little unusual but I think most of you would agree, that none were extreme or difficult to do. I know that everyone has different circumstances and obstacles to overcome, but I believe in my heart that if being debt free is something that you really, really want to achieve that for most people, it can be done.

Are you wondering if we went out for an expensive dinner or huge shopping spree to celebrate? It's funny because the day we paid the house off ended up being such a long day for both of us, that we celebrated with Chef Boyardee! How's that for fine dining! And a few days later, I did go shopping, but it was to my favorite Goodwill store (got 6 "new" shirts for less that $30). We're both still thrifty at heart so why stop now.

We do plan on making some purchases that we've been putting off to concentrate on the mortgage, but you know us, nothing extravagant, more like a new dish washer and maybe a laptop computer. We plan on saving the extra money that we will now have to pay cash for new purchases including vehicles or home repairs so that maybe, just maybe we will never be in debt again. Of course, who knows what the future will hold, but I really do hope we can stay debt free for a very long time.

Are you wondering about the debt chain? Well here are the last few chains that we ripped apart before throwing that sucker in the trash!!!!


I haven't shared this triumph on Facebook or with very many people at all for that matter because while I would hope that people would be happy for us, I know that for many this is a very tough time financially. I would never want to make someone feel bad or feel like I'm bragging instead of me just being happy that we've met our huge goal.

I do believe though that if more people would follow more money saving practices, that times like these wouldn't have to be so tough. With emergency funds, living beneath your means and other practices, I feel that more people would be able to ride the ups and downs of the economy with less stress and more peace of mind and security. To me, that's worth so much more than the things money can buy.


1 comment: